Pregnacy & Marginal Placenta Previa

Are you familiar with the term, “marginal placenta previa?”  I received the following information in my email this morning  from a reader who asked to remain anonymous and thought I’d pass it on to those who could use pregnancy information.

“I remember when we were expecting my daughter my doctor really scared us when he told us I had marginal placenta previa.  Then he continued on telling us how I could bleed to death should the placenta rupture and I was placed on bedrest.

What he didn’t tell us is that most women continue with pregnancy without any problems and as a pregnancy continues the weakened part of the placenta usually moves up and the problem no longer exists.  That’s exactly what happened to me and I was fine.

Thing is it wasn’t until I returned home from my doctor’s appointment and jumped on the internet to get more information on my condition, that I became more educated.  I find it’s better to be informed which for me gave me a sense of relief.  The panic I felt had gone away.

A great place to go to get information on pregnancy is http://www.pregnancylounge.com where you’ll find oodles of articles, from early symptoms to when it’s safe to travel.  If you’re pregnant, you might want to have a look.”

I wish I had known about a pregnancy lounge when I was pregnant.  I would have loved to check it out on those nights when I couldn’t sleep and found myself walking around the house and digging through the cabinets for something sweet.

6 thoughts on “Pregnacy & Marginal Placenta Previa”

  1. I had this and I was scared to death! I totally thought I couldn’t do anything for fear of the placenta rupturing and losing my child. I was fine, the placenta moved upwards on it’s own a couple of weeks before my due date 🙂

  2. I had the same thing going on. I actually had no idea that the placenta could move. Mine started of semi anterior and I was told it probably would mean I wouldn’t feel baby movements until much later in the pregnancy. I started getting concerned when it got lower during one ultrasound, the next ultrasound the placenta had moved to the side and was not considered a threat. I had learned something new. I had thought that the placenta was a stationary thing, but it can move. Glad everything was ok in your pregnancy!

  3. I had that with my youngest child and ended up being fine. The way the doctor’s scared me though, was they called me and left a message about tests that I had done and when I called back the nurse had left. I asked them not to call the next day because I was going on a school field trip and had to drive on the highway 2 hours there and 2 hours back. Of course, halfway through the trip down, they call and tell me that I have the Cystic Fibrosis gene, and that there’s a 75% chance my child will have it. Talk about a hard day! I went through the whole day worrying, and found out when I went back to the doctor that in order for him to have it, My husband would have to be a carrier as well, and then it would be a 25% chance, not 75% like the nurse told me. I was SO MAD! A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

    1. Yes, sometimes I think that nurses / doctors should think about what they are saying to people before they say it. For a month, I thought the doctor was going to do surgery on both my knees at the same time and I was so upset knowing that I wouldn’t be able to walk at all if he worked on both knees at once. I could see myself in a wheelchair not being able to go to the bathroom by myself and etc. Come to find out, he was just thinking out loud and never intended on doing both knees, only one. If he could have kept that comment to himself, he could have saved me lots of tears!

Comments are closed.

Scroll to Top