You know that I like to watch my calorie intake, but when it comes to holiday sweets, I cave every time. This guest post came in and I had to share it with you. After reading through the holiday recipes below, I can’t wait to try out the Merry Cherry Dessert. Which one would you try first? Read through the recipes below and find your favorite – enjoy!
The time has come for Christmas festivities to begin. We all strive to make our Christmas dinners surpass all expectations and leave our guests wanting more. The turkey is in the oven and the side dishes have been prepared to meet your standards; but the final touch to every successful Christmas dinner is a beautiful and mouth-watering dessert. Tease your guests while you finish dessert with a bowl of chocolate. Ferrero Rochers make a great table snack and Australian readers can even buy Ferrero chocolate hampers online to ensure you’re prepared for the flood of guests this holiday season. The following are three dessert ideas that will be the perfect ending to a delicious Christmas dinner.
SNOWMAN CAKE RECIPE
- 1 ¾ cups cake flour
- ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups vanilla frosting
- Shredded coconut
- 2 black liquorice drops
- 1 large orange gumdrop
- Red shoestring liquorice
- Red fruit leather
- 3 starlight mints
- 3 small gumdrops
- 2 sticks chocolate liquorice
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour one 6 inch and one 7 inch round cake pans.
2) In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Sift all ingredients.
3) In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar til fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, and mix in the vanilla.
4) Add the flour mixture and the milk a bit at a time until it is incorporated. Fill cake pans about 2/3 full with the batter. Bake 50 to 65 minutes or until they are golden brown.
5) Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes and turn them onto a rectangular platter in the shape of a snowman.
6) Cover cakes with frosting and shredded coconut. Add liquorice drop eyes, an orange gumdrop nose and a shoestring licorice smile.
7) Cut 2 inch wide strips of fruit leather, notch the ends and wrap around snowman as a scarf. Use starlight mints and gumdrops for his buttons, and chocolate liquorice for his arms. Serves 10 to 12 guests. Display alongside Christmas decorations for impressive effect. Australian & New Zealand readers can find great Christmas decorations by clicking here.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pkg (.6 0z) cranberry Jell-O
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 pkg (1 oz each) vanilla instant pudding
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 (8 oz) tub cool whip
- 1 pkg (13.6 oz) prepared pound cake, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges, drained
1) Combine boiling water and gelatin mix and stir til dissolved. Add cold water, stir and pour into a 13×9 inch pan. Refrigerate for 3 hours and cut into ½ inch cubes.
2) Combine pudding mix, cinnamon and milk in a large bowl and whisk for 2 minutes. Let stand until thickened. Stir in cool whip.
3) Remove and set aside 1 cup of gelatin cubes. Layer half each of remaining gelatin cubes, cake cubes, pudding and oranges in a 3 qt serving bowl. Repeat layers and top with the reserved gelatin cubes. Serve chilled.
MERRY CHERRY DESSERT
- 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling, divided
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 pkg (6 oz) cherry jello
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 4 cups angel food cake cubes
- 2 pkg (3.4 oz each) vanilla instant pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 tub 98 oz.) cool whip, divided
1) Set aside 1/3 cup cherry pie filling for garnish. Combine boiling water and gelatin mix in large bowl. Stir til dissolved and add cold water and remaining cherry pie filling. Chill for 45 minutes.
2) Put cake cubes in 3 qt bowl, cover with g gelatin and chill for 45 minutes.
3) Beat pudding mix for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups cool whip and spoon over gelatin layer. Chill for 2 hours and top with remaining cool whip and cherry pie filling. Serve chilled.