Traveling is a super way to explore new things, but alas it always comes with a side of hassle. Traveling by airplane can especially easily start your trip on the wrong foot if the flight is delayed, your luggage lost, or if you’re unprepared for the challenge of the trip just through the airport. Here are a few tips for making sure your trip starts smoothly:
- First and foremost, book a morning flight! Your flight is much more likely to leave without delay and you will get to your destination faster if you get going first thing in the morning.
- If at all possible, use a carry-on instead of checking luggage. The odds of your luggage getting lost are reduced to about zero (unless you’re an exceptionally forgetful person) and, again, you will get to your destination faster if you don’t have to wait for your luggage to arrive too! The limitations on liquids can be cumbersome if you put all your toiletries in your carry-on, but instead really try to reduce it to the bare essentials. Does where you’re going provide shampoo? Lotion? Soap? Take advantage of that convenience and pack light!
- If you don’t decide to carry-on your luggage, do carry-on a few essentials just in case your luggage gets lost. Always having your medications, toothbrush, extra underwear and shirt can be a real lifesaver!
- Fuel up, airplanes are notorious flying Petri dishes of disease. Low oxygen levels on airplanes do hinder bacteria growth, however unfortunately that also doesn’t make humans feel great either. Pack an easy, nutritious snack like trail mix and always have a drink of water when they offer you one during your flight.
- Lastly, enjoy your journey! Airports themselves can be fun places to walk around while you’re on your way to family, friends, or just a place you’ve never been before. Happy travels!